The Log Jam Family

The Log Jam Family

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Deployment thoughts

We are coming up on our second deployment right now and I feel like it is our first. So many emotions and feelings are coming up and this is definately another log jam for us.

One thing that I find interesting that I have experienced with both deployments is how stressful the time leading up to the seperation is. Part of me wants to capitalize on all the time we have left with each other and a bigger part of me wants to "rip off the bandaid" and get the goodbyes over with. When DH is gone I miss him ALOT, but in alot of ways it is easier to function once he is gone. Routines become easier because we aren't trying to fit two adults schedules into one calendar, the Navy can't throw a wrench into our plans with the kids at the last minute, I can streamline our routines and the wet towels don't find themselves on the floor ;-).

Don't get me wrong. When he is gone the nights are long, the days are still hectic and just seeing a happy couple holding hands in public can reduce me to tears. Being a temporary single parent is a real challenge and I am very thankful that I don't have to be a permanent single parent.

One theme that got me through the last deployment was the goal of "thrive, don't survive" and I really think it set a very positive tone for the whole six months. In that time I gave birth to Mr. Man-Puppy, flew to Florida and back and lost all the baby weight from Man-Puppy plus the babyweight from Miss Tornado's pregnancy. Dh came home to a healthier and more confident wife and the kids had a healthier and more patient mommy.

I really hope I can do as well this time too. I am going to work out more, eat better, organize the house, study the Bible more and focus on thriving rather than surviving!

No comments:

Post a Comment